Schools will re-open on September 8–11, with days in place for support staff and others in the school to familiarize themselves with procedures before students start back.
New health and safety measures need to be put in place. Districts must submit safety plans to government by August 21. Locals should be meeting with districts now to give input on plans.
The restart steering committee continues to meet throughout the summer.
In solidarity and safety,
K-12 Presidents Council President
Find all FAQs at bcschools.cupe.ca
Health and safety
On July 22, 2020 the WorkSafeBC board of directors passed the changes adding a presumption for communicable viral pathogens to the Workers Compensation Act. Bill 23 was made law on August 14.
21. What does a “presumption” of workplace causation mean?
22. What exactly is changing?
23. Will members who contract COVID-19 at work have access to Workers Compensation?
24. Do districts have to follow provincial standards for cleaning or the guidelines from the PHO?
25. What are the protocols for the public and others coming into schools?
26. Is the K-12 Presidents Council working with teachers to support each other and increase our ability to work safely and effectively?